For family & friends:
- Encourage the depressed mother to seek help from a GP; public health nurse and counsellor.
- Encourage her to join a support group. Social Isolation can contribute to postnatal depression.
- Try to be patient
- Assist in arranging practical child care.
- Try to let her express her true feelings, and treat them with sympathy.
- Try to find out more about postnatal depression.
Especially for fathers:
- Try, as a couple, to go out without the children, but don\'t force her to do anything she doesn\'t feel ready for.
- Frequently assure her that her illness is temporary and that she will get well.
- Encourage activity, even though she might resist, e.g. you might suggest going for a walk together.
- Try to ensure that your partner gets enough food and rest.
- Give her a massage - this will help her relax and restore her well-being.
- Reassure her of your support and that you will not abandon her.
Whatever you do, Do Not:
- walk out on her, however difficult or impossible she is.
- leave her alone with the baby for too long.